Writing Narrative Paragraphs guides your students step by step through the process of writing a paragraph about an experience they have had. Instructions, activities, examples, interactives, and downloads help students gain new writing strategies and skills. You can also present this unit right from your interactive whiteboard.
First students warm up by thinking about their favorite memories, such as vacations they would like to relive or special days in their lives. Then they read a sample narrative paragraph and respond to the reading. Afterward, students are ready to write their own narrative paragraphs:
- Prewriting activities help students think about experiences they have had and the people, events, actions, and conversations that took place during those experiences.
- Writing activities help students write a topic sentence that gets the reader's attention, body sentences that narrate the event, and an ending sentence that draws the paragraph to a close.
- Revising activities help students check the time-order in their paragraphs and use a checklist to make improvements.
- Editing activities help students use the right word and check for other errors.
- Publishing activities help students create a clean final copy of their paragraphs and reflect on what they have learned.