Writing Essays guides your students step by step through the process of writing effective informational (explanatory) essays. Instructions, activities, examples, interactives, and downloads help students gain new writing strategies and skills. You can also present this unit right from your interactive whiteboard.
First students warm up by learning about gathering and analyzing the results of a poll. Then they read a sample paragraph and essay that report what the poll found. After responding to the reading, students are ready to write their own essays to report findings from another poll:
- Prewriting activities help students understand and analyze the results of a poll, gathering information for their essays.
- Writing activities help students write a beginning that grabs the reader's interest and gives a summary of the poll results, middle paragraphs that discuss the poll in greater depth, and an ending paragraph that thoughtfully wraps up the essay.
- Revising activities help students organize their paragraphs and add details to them.
- Editing activities help students correctly use end punctuation and numbers in their essays.
- Publishing activities help students create a clean final copy of their essays and reflect on what they have learned.